Wednesday, November 18, 2015

What Not to Do for Your Health

Yikes! Who Knew?

When I was thinking about what to post on Wellness Wednesday I did a little research. I thought I'd find a healthy exercise routine to share. Instead, I found some things Not To Do if you're concerned with your health, and who isn't?

So I'm sharing two things I learned from my little excursion into the Internet world of health.
  • We're into the winter months and most of us have closed our windows and turned on the heat. If you're like me, you miss that fresh air of summer. Do you reach for the aerosol? Light one of those delicious smelling sandalwood candles or find the incense?  


Don't. 

John Naish of the British Daily Mail has written that some of these products are making us sick. He even says that incense, such as agarwood and sandalwood, are more toxic than tobacco smoke.  

But wait! There's more.
  • In a recent study, 79 percent of mascara tubes were plagued with staph bacteria and 86 percent of women in the study admitted to using mascara past its prime. One very helpful hint I gleaned from the article is this: set up a calendar alert for dumping your mascara 3 months from purchase even if it's still moist. 

Now here's something healthy to DO. 
I tested it and it's actually pretty good.  I'm not glowing yet, but I'll let you know if that happens.

Glowing Skin Smoothie

It's packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that infuse new life into your skin. (I can use some new life infused into my skin.)
Here's how to make it...
Ingredients (for 2 servings)

  • 2/3 c. of almond milk
  • 1 cup of Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup of your favorite berries (blueberries are best!)
  • 1/2 of an avocado
  • Handful of spinach or kale
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
Generous drizzle of organic honey
1 small banana
A few ice cubes (more for a frostier smoothie, fewer for a creamier one)
Put all of the ingredients into a blender and pulse until no lumps are visible. Serve immediately. Drink as often as you like... of course, every day is best!
If you're not a berry-lover, pineapple is a GREAT choice to get an extra dose of collagen-boosting Vitamin C... and it tastes like a tropical vacation in a glass!


C. Lee McKenzie
In Lee's writing, she takes on modern issues that today's teens face in their daily lives. Her first young adult novel, Sliding on the Edge, which dealt with cutting and suicide was published in 2009. Her second, titled The Princess of Las Pulgas, dealing with a family who loses everything and must rebuild their lives came out in 2010. Double Negative (2014) was her third young adult novel. Researching it turned her into a literacy advocate. Her fourth YA, Sudden Secrets came out in December 2014.

When she really wants to have fun, she writes middle grade books. Alligators Overhead was her first published book for readers age 8-12, and the sequel, The Great Time Lock Disaster, is now out.

Lee's website

6 comments:

  1. I do make the smoothies with berries and veggies and I don't burn incense. I do hate not being able to open the windows in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often have the windows open in the winter if not for long periods but just to get some fresh air. I don't burn candles, incense or anything else like that. Smoothie sounds good but a tad high in calories for me I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We sometimes open the windows in the winter just to get the fresh air in. Though my husband likes to light an incense stick now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love aromatherapy but I cannot drink something that looks like that!

    thanks again for being with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just have to get over the green! Remember when blue food was all the rage? Green has to be better than that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...