Monday, March 14, 2016

#TopTen Reasons My #Kids Hide in their Rooms!

And with teenagers, it ain't to play Hide-and-Seek...

Top 10 Reasons my kids hide in their rooms:
  1. obviously to play on their devices - though they don't think watching videos and texting and social media is "playing" it totally IS!
  2. to avoid chores or HW or general nagging
  3. to hide activities I don't want to know about
  4. to pretend they're not around, esp if they might be in trouble for something
  5. to remove themselves from a sibling getting yelled at, don't bring me into this!
  6. to sulk and recoop after a loss
  7. to chill and relax
  8. to watch their own shows on netflix when mom has the remote
  9. to clean up - ha ha ha, just kidding, that never happens
  10. to nap/sleep, this one is okay, teenagers need a lot of sleep!
They do spend a lot of time in their rooms, but we have our together time too - like movie nights, sporting events, most dinners, etc. And as they get bigger, they want more time to themselves. I get it. Sniff.

We were teenagers once too. I remember spending a lot of time in my room. I liked to read books and magazines, listen to music, make puzzles, write notes to my friends, experiment with makeup, daydream about boys, talk on the phone - remember that stuff?...Though the format and speed of things have changed, kids need their alone time to figure themselves out. We also need to monitor and limit their device time, like our parents did - but that's fodder for another post!

Got teenagers? Remember when you were that age? And we survived!

Happy Monday and have a great week!

11 comments:

  1. My room was my cave where all the angst could roam freely and I didn't have to hear my parents' advice or complaints about what I was doing. Of course, I learned a lot from that advice and those complaints which turned out to be exactly what I needed to get through those teen years. Here's to rooms of our own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except for the devices, this list sounds a lot like me as a kid. If I was in trouble for something, my mother would make me sit at the kitchen table because she knew I wanted to be in my room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know! now we take away the devices for punishment! and when i sent my boys to rooms when little, they would play with toys - but it was good for them to have that time out time!

      Delete
  3. I still like to have some alone time. And I love to sleep till noon. I must still be a teen at heart. LOL

    When I was a teen, I was allowed to have a phone in my room. I loved it, so that was always the first thing my parents took from me when I was in trouble. I suppose it's good to let them have something they love- it's leverage for later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same as now, punishment is to lose phone! ha!

      Delete
  4. I loathe when this will be me saying it. One more year and I will have my first out of four kids that's a teenager!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and i'm on the verge of my baby becoming one this october - waaaaaah!!!

      Delete
  5. I was the oldest of five, which meant my room was the only personal space I had. And even then, there was occasionally a baby in a walker butting my door open. My kids both value time in their rooms already. But they like to have family movie or game time. Hopefully that continues into their teens. (And through them.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like a great balance which is well all families need to have!

      Delete
  6. I spent tons of time in my room! I can only imagine what technology we'll have in eight years when my little guy is a teen. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...