Friday, March 10, 2017

Eggcelence


Easy Easter eggs!
Easter egg time is coming! I am NOT crafty. Coloring eggs is about all I'm capable of doing, which stinks because mine are never really pretty. Last year, I decided to try decoupage-- which is just a fancy word for saying I decided to glue magazine pictures onto hard boiled eggs. I used regular white school glue and small pictures I cut out. Easy peasy and cute. And yes, they still peel fine.

How fresh are your eggs? 
I left two dozen eggs in my garage overnight. The temperature was in the mid-fifties, so whether or not my eggs were spoiled was questionable. I called my egg lady, Loretta-- who delivers me farm- fresh eggs weekly-- and asked her if she thought they were okay to eat. She told me to place the egg in a bowl of water, if it floated, toss them out. If they stood on end, hard boil them. If they lay flat, they're still fresh. Glad to say, mine were still fresh.

Peeling all those hard boiled eggs is easy!
Did you know older eggs are easier to peel? I get my eggs fresh from the farm and they are sometimes darn near impossible to peel. To make it easier, I always tap the wide side on the counter and crack it. Then I flip it over and tap the top of the egg. After that, I roll the egg on the counter to loosen the shell a little-- though be careful not to apply too much pressure and squish the egg. 

Want fluffier, yellower egg yolks?
Cool boiled eggs quickly when done cooking. I remove from the stove, pour off the hot water and replace with ice and cold water. The rapid cooling makes the egg yolk less dense. 

How about a few egg funnies? 
What's an egg's least favorite day? Fry-day
Who tells the best egg jokes? comedi-hens
How do chickens get out of the house? Through the eggs-it
How do chickens come into the house? Through the hen-trance
How do monsters like their eggs? Terri-fried
How many eggs does it take to screw in a light bulb? 0...eggs have no hands.





5 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth - useful advice ... I love eggs - but seem to only use them occasionally - most using them up for tuna Nicoise salad ... love the fun jokes! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love eggs too. I eat at least two a day, and will continue to do so until my cholesterol tells me to stop.

      Delete
  2. Like the idea of sticking pix on the eggs, good one Liz. I have to buy store eggs, no egg lady round here. Rarely have probs peeling them though, but your advice is good. Your jokes were eggscellent. Cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete

  3. I like your site and content. thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts. Thanks
    ผลบอลเมื่อคืน

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...